If you need more proof that downloading free Android apps from unknown developers VPNpro has an answer.
The latest firm’s research exposed six dangerous antivirus applications that have 1.66 billion downloads in the Play Store.
The problem is with the permissions required by these so-called security applications that are not required by a genuine antivirus application.
It’s about getting permission to control your location, your camera and even using your phone without your knowledge. VPN Pro says applications like Virus Cleaner, Security Master and Clean Master have been revealed with malware in the past and are still available on Play store collecting millions of installations.
If you want to download a security app then you need to go for a popular brand that you are familiar with. Free applications are free for a reason because if you are not paying for them then someone else is paying.
Of course there are some permissions that security applications must use to operate such as accessing the Internet and reading and writing memory to scan for dangerous files.
The list of dangerous applications is as follows:
- Security Master – Antivirus, VPN, AppLock Booster (500 million downloads)
- Antivirus Free 2019 – San & Remove Virus, Cleaner (10 million downloads)
- Virus Cleaner 2019 – Antivirus, Cleaner & Booster (50 million downloads)
- Virus Cleaner, Antivirus, Cleaner (50 million downloads)
- Super Phone Cleaner: Virus Cleaner, Phone Cleaner (50 million downloads)
- Clean Master – Antivirus, Applock & Cleaner (1 billion downloads)