New York is arguably one of the most idyllic of cities in the world. It is also one of the most expensive places to visit in the world. If you want to visit New York or Manhattan specifically, you will need to do your homework. You may already know that NYC is the top destination for tourists in the world. It is home to many great things like the Statue of Liberty and Times Square. There are still many ways to enjoy NYC on a budget.
If you have just recently been looking at things to do in the city, and choked on some of the prices, don’t give up. There is so much you can do on a budget. If you don’t have a clear strategy to save money during your trip, then you will easily spend hundreds of dollars a day during your visit.
- Hotels – When searching for affordably priced hotels in Manhattan, you may fee despondent. But you can find cheap accommodation in New York City. Many people opt to stay in areas surrounding Manhattan and commute each day to Manhattan using the subway or bus. This will give an authentic feel of what it is like to live in city, among the locals. At the same time, you will be saving so much on accommodation that is usually overpriced in Manhattan.
- Attractions – there are many places you can visit on a budget, that may not even cost you a dime. Some of these include:
- Staten Island Ferry – you can enjoy a free skyline view from Staten Island Ferry which runs between Staten Island and Battery Park 24 hours a day. It is a great way to float past the Statue of Liberty without charging you a dime.
- Museums – there are many museums that you can visit free of charge. You will find that there are certain free nights at museums like MoMA and Guggenheim. The Metropolitan Museum of Art allows visitors to pay what they want.
- Brooklyn Bridge – you can take a stroll over the iconic Brooklyn Bridge wooden walkway. People simply love taking walks over the bridge as it has breath-taking views of the city. You can opt to go in the evening when the crowds have quietened down.
- Central Park – NYC is the most visited attraction and it is free to walk around. People often jog, cycle or meander through the park. You can also have a picnic with your family and enjoy some quiet time.
- Visit Chinatown – It is filled with budget eateries and you can experience the city’s famous pizzerias and wine.
Although NYC may be expensive to visit, there are many things that can be done on a budget, especially if you do some research. Many people commute to Manhattan daily and explore the city, then go back to their accommodation out of this borough. However, even in Manhattan, you will find things to do on a budget if you look for them.