5 Keywords To Easily Remember Texas Holdem Rules
Anyone who has ever played Texas Holdem knows that the game can be tricky to remember. There are a lot of Texas Holdem rules, and it can be easy to forget what to do when the cards are dealt. However, here are five keywords: RANK-ROUNDS-BETS-HANDS-WINS, which can serve as a Texas Holdem poker guide so you can easily remember the rules and always know what to do.
The first keyword to remember when playing Texas Holdem poker is RANK – familiarize yourself with the different types of Texas Holdem hand ranking:
- Royal Flush: A, K, Q, J, 10 of the same suit.
- Straight Flush: 5 cards in sequence of a similar suit.
- Four of a Kind: Also known as quads, which have the same rank across four cards.
- Full House: 3 cards of a similar rank and 2 alternative cards of a similar rank.
- Flush: Having the same suit for all five cards.
- Straight: 5 cards in sequence, however not essentially of a similar suit.
- Three of a Kind: 3 cards of a similar rank and 2 unrelated cards.
- Two Pair: Two cards of the same rank plus two more cards of the same rank, plus one other unrelated card.
- One Pair: Two cards of the same rank plus three unrelated cards.
- High Card: When you have none of the above hands, your best hand will be the highest card in your hand.
The second keyword to remember is ROUNDS – understanding the different betting rounds in Texas Holdem poker rules:
- Preflop: This is the first betting round and occurs after the hole cards have been dealt. Each player can call, raise, or fold during this round.
- Flop: The flop is the second betting round and occurs after the first three community cards have been dealt. During this round, each player can choose to check, bet, or fold.
- Turn: The turn is the third betting round and occurs after the fourth community card has been dealt. During this round, each player can choose to check, bet, or fold.
- River: The river is the fourth and final betting round and occurs after the fifth community card has been dealt. During this round, each player can choose to check, bet, or fold.
The third keyword to remember is BETS – understanding the different types of bets in Texas Holdem poker rules.
- Call: A call is when you match the amount of the bet another player has made.
- Raise: A raise is when you increase the amount of the bet another player has made.
- Fold: A fold is when you give up your hand and stop playing for that round.
- Check: A check is when you choose not to bet but can still stay in the hand if no other players bet during that round.
Photo by: Unsplash
Once you understand the different types of bets, the fourth keyword is HANDS – understanding the different types of hands in Texas Holdem poker rules:
- Pocket cards: These are the two cards that are dealt to each player at the beginning of a hand.
- Community cards: These are the five cards that are dealt face up in the middle of the table and can be used by all players to make their hand.
- Hole cards: Face-down cards. Also known as pocket cards.
- Flop: The flop is that the name for the primary 3 community cards.
- Turn: The turn is the name for the fourth community card that is dealt.
- River: The river is the name for the fifth and final community card that is dealt.
Lastly, the keyword to remember is WIN – understanding the different ways to win in Texas Holdem poker rules:
- Winning by having the best hand: This is when you have the best hand at the end of the final betting round and win the pot.
- Winning by forcing all other players to fold: This is when all the other players have folded during a betting round, and you win the pot.
Texas Holdem poker is a fun and exciting game to play. Play Texas Holdem online today by visiting GGPoker, or you can also play with your friends at home. Remembering the keywords: RANK-ROUNDS-BETS-HANDS-WINS can serve as your Texas Holdem guide, so you always know what to do during a Texas Holdem game, so start playing today!