South India has some of the most picturesque locations for destination weddings. Some of the places in Kerala have already been in the limelight for ages. But, there is so much more to the beautiful south Indian locations that go beyond just Kerala.
Here we are bringing you a list of 10 lesser-known yet the best locations across south India for a destination wedding this 2020.
- Ooty – the city has been the best travel destination in Tamil Nadu. It is one of the most popular districts on the Nilgiri hills. Known for its hills, sceneries, and ah! Such amazing weather, this place is a good choice for a destination wedding on the hills. Avoid choosing it in peak winters as it might get uncomfortably cold during the season
- Coorg – located in Karnataka, this city is known as Scotland of India because of its lush green forests, acres of coffee and pepper plantations and forever chilly climatic conditions. Not just the best place for a traditional Coorgi wedding but also any kind of wedding on your mind. Due to its popularity as a travel destination, it has many resorts which offer destination weddings as well
- Coonoor – a place very near to and similar to Ooty but least known and less explored. The scenic views will get you the most amazing pictures of the wedding. Beyond pictures, the experience of breathing the fresh air and having food from locally sourced organic farmers is going to be unmatchable
- Chikmagalur – yet another gem of a city in Karnataka known for its coffee and climate. Being a travel destination this city has a range of resorts from budget ones to luxury that could cater to your dream destination wedding.
- Wayanad– This high altitude rural district in southwest Kerala has been a famous travel destination for over a decade now. A small affair or big one, you can accommodate every kind of wedding here. This place has resorts and banquet halls with the best of views to get married in.
- Hampi – Not just a village in Karnataka but also a UNESCO world heritage site. Located on the banks of the Tungabhadra river, the famous ancient temples and monuments make it the best location to have a traditional temple wedding in south India.
- Mahabalipuram – a piece of land between the Bay of Bengal and the great salt lake which has temples and monuments that dates back to the 7th and 8th centuries. It is just about an hour’s drive from Chennai and has several resorts and some of the best banquet halls near Chennai
- Pondicherry– most famous for the availability of cheap liquor, did you know Pondicherry also makes the best destination wedding location? Owing to the French colonial settlement here, the architecture of villas and chic boutique styled resorts might get pictures that make it look like you actually got married in France.
- Alappuzha – better known as Alleppey. This location offers weddings both by the sea or in a temple with the promise of a scenic view. You can either choose a contemporary chic style wedding with a view of houseboats sailing through the network of canals and lagoons or you could choose a traditional Indian temple wedding at Mullakkal temple which is known for its traditional designs
- Kochi – also known as Cochin, this coastal city is located by the Laccadive sea. The city has been a port open to merchants across the world which have led to establishments like colonial bungalows and diverse religious establishments. The Fort Kochi region has the best resorts that can cater to the destination wedding exactly like the one on your mind.
A few things you can consider while choosing these destinations are weather conditions, proximity, and accessibility to the nearest airport, availability of local vendors, planning team, etc. Choose any of these locations in south India for an offbeat destination wedding this 2020 to give your guests and yourself a gala time.