The phone has three rear cameras and offers users the ability to change their settings the same as in professional cameras. The device has a 6.5-inch 4K high dynamic range (HDR) display. 4K is the resolution while HDR is the technology that enhances the contrast between black and white making images look more realistic.
The Japanese giant hopes the latest device will help its mobile division especially in the new wave of new generation 5G mobile internet products. By 2025 5G technology will occupy 15% of worldwide internet connections. Sony last year saw sales drop by 16% compared to 2018.
The Xperia 1 II has three 12-megapixel rear cameras that can shoot 20fps in burst mode and can calculate autofocus up to 60 times per second. Eye autofocus has also been restored this year and even works with animals. Sony says autofocus this year covers 70% of the field of view.
To get the most out of the camera system, Sony has introduced the new Photo Pro app which joins Cinema Pro which debuted last year. This app is intended to give users more control over photography. The three rear cameras, one main, one telephoto and one super wide angle, are accompanied by a 3D ToF sensor to assist focusing.
Inside is a Snapdragon 865 processor with 8GB of RAM and 256GB of internal storage and a 4,000 mAh battery. In Europe 5G connectivity will be via Qualcomm X55 modem. The phone has IP65 and IP68 water and dust resistance certification.
Sony Xperia 1 II Full Specs:
- Display: 6.5-inch HDR OLED; 3,840 x 1,644 resolution (4K); 643ppi; Motion blur reduction (90Hz equivalent); 21:9 aspect ratio; Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- SoC: Qualcomm Snapdragon 865; 7nm+ process; Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- RAM: 8GB
- Storage: 256GB
- Cameras: Rear cameras (- Ultra-wide: 12MP sensor, 16mm, f/2.2 aperture, Dual PDAF; – Wide: 12MP sensor, 24mm, f/1.7 aperture, Dual PDAF, OIS; – Telephoto: 12MP sensor, 70mm, f/2.4 aperture, PDAF, OIS; – Depth sensor: 3D iTOF) Front camera: 8MP sensor
- Audio: Headphone jack; Dual stereo front speakers; 360 Reality Audio; DSEE upscaling
- Battery: 4,000mAh; 21W USB-PD wired charging; 15W wireless charging
- IP rating: IP65/68
- Connectivity: 5G, sub-6GHz
The Sony Xperia 1 II will be in sale this spring, but pricing is not yet mentioned.